Sunday, January 9, 2011

No More Messing Around

For years, I've taught the work of philosophers and thinkers who insist that in order to live well, we have to face the reality of death.  And not just any old death - our own, individual death.  Socrates, the Stoics, Epicurus, Buddha, Chuang tzu . . . many others - they all have their own distinct way of presenting this lesson.

This has always made sense to me on an intellectual level, and even on a personal level to some extent.  Like most people, I've experienced loss in my life due to death.  And every time someone close to me dies, especially if the death was sudden or unexpected, I hear myself and others talk about how life is short, we should all make the best of it, and so forth.

And then usually we all go back to our regularly scheduled life programming.

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer - a thymoma, a cancer of the thymus that is rare in adults.  It's a big lemon-sized tumor sitting there in the upper right side of my chest.  All indications, so far, are that it's treatable and that I'll recover to resume my life.  Fortunately, I'm being cared for at the most famous and well-regarded cancer center in the world.

But let me just say:  there's nothing like a cancer diagnosis to get you to stop jacking around in your life, wasting time on things that don't matter.

I've been more focused on the things that truly matter to me in the last few weeks since the diagnosis than I have been in the last several months.  Why?  Because suddenly I have a concrete realization that I don't have much time.  I'm not expecting to die from this cancer or during the treatment, but still . . . this treatment alone will take me out  of commission for a while and, well, I've got things to do.

I've got people to see, books to write, websites to build, and relationships to savor!  I've got to get as much of it in as possible before I go "under the knife" because who knows when I'll be able to get back to it?  And, truthfully, I don't really know how life will be for me afterwards.  We never know the future of our lives, do we?

So, I think I get a little more viscerally what the philosophers are saying about death and facing our mortality in order to live well.  I'm sure this is why people who have near-death experiences come back from those experiences and completely change their lives.  They quit their jobs, start a wacky business based on their passions, get out of bad marriages, start new ones, move to the other side of the world, learn to pole dance, sell all they own to live out of a backpack - all sorts of radical things.

They get it.  Big time.  They get that not one of us has nearly as much time as we think we do to be and do what is ours to do on this earth.  Right now - as you read and I type - we have the most time we'll ever have again in this life.  From here, the clock winds steadily down, and there's not one of us who won't die, some of us far sooner than we think.  I have to believe that if we truly lived mindful of that reality every day, we would live differently.

I know I'm living differently, at least these last few weeks.  I haven't had a near death experience, but to hear the word "cancer" applied to me feels close.

I'm not grateful for this cancer.  I'll be happy when that malignant lemon is out of my body and burned in a medical waste incinerator somewhere.

But, if an enlivened sense of urgency about doing what matters in my life is a lesson I can learn from this experience, well . . . I'll definitely take it.

12 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten around to the pole dancing yet, but have been fortunate to be able to embrace most of the other changes you mention since my heart attack in 1993. The period of time between my heart attack in October 1993 and open heart surgery in February 1994 was when I first really focused on my mortality. You realize there is no time to waste. I look back on those times and events as the most important in my life so far.

    You know you can count me among the many who will support you however we can - it's the least we can do to thank you for putting your efforts and time into lifting our perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm not a troll, and I generally try to be civil, I'll respond. Thanks for the reminders. Thanks for the delightful way you've already lived and shared and spoken and taught. Now that we're here, you've enriched my life and I'm sure many others as well. For what it's worth, I'm sending thoughts and prayers and immense gratitude for who you are and what I know about what you've done so far.

    And, in the midst of the life-is-short talk, I'd like to quote my friend and teacher, Paul Rubin, who said, "Life is long, and if it's not, it doesn't matter." Not sure if he's right, but it makes me smile nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recent diagnosis may have kicked you into high gear, but you've always had a sense of the "important" as long as I've known you. You could always brush away the superficial nonsense with a wave of your hand, and cut right to the heart of the matter. And that's why I count you as one of the great blessings in my life -- you remind me of "important" stuff.

    My prayers are for your speedy recovery -- and also that you continue inspiring and prodding the rest of us to higher matters for many years to come.

    Love ya, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr Jill,

    We haven't spoken before. I belong to Mel, one of your former students, and followed the link Nishta posted to get here. I have been dealing with death intimately for over five years as a social worker with a huge national hospice provider. In October, shortly before I was to undergo hip replacement, I learned that I have stage 3 breast cancer. I didn't have much time to figure out how I felt about it. Everything moved so quickly. I had bilateral mastectomy in Nov and started chemo in Dec. I can't even tell you how much hearing those words "you have cancer" has changed me. I completely understand what you are saying, and I too fully expect to beat this and will eat cheese in France one day.

    A few days after I was diagnosed, I reached into my pocket and handed Mel all of the cash I had. I told her to go find a secret spot and stash it. She's never been on a cruise and really wants to do that, so I told her to go start a cruise fund. Before that, it was all talk about "someday." For me, there are no more "somedays." I used to say that someday I wanted to buy a camper when I retire, then about a year and a half ago, my 43 year old co-worker died on the treadmill after work. I bought our camper a few weeks later. Mel and I go off to the woods now, every chance we get. All we have is today. I know that now more than ever. One of my favorite quotes is from the play, Angels in America - the world only spins forward. I printed that along with a big picture of the Bethesda Fountain as a cover sheet for one of my work binders.

    Anyway, the road ahead is craggy. I can tell you that from experience. I wish you lots of luck on your journey. You can't ever go back to thinking about your life the way you did before they told you that you have cancer. They really are life-changing words.

    Peace and Blessings,
    Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is everything is exactly as it is supposed to be. And have you read, "It's not About the Bike" by Lance Armstrong? I'm sorry I missed you at Unity yesterday. I do not know you but I admire you tremendously. A voice has been telling me to quit my job and do something else (hah what about health insurance/money/etc/blah blah blah) and your post has just cemented that belief....I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill you still have way to many poeples lives to touch as you have touched mine for this be anything other than "let's get in gear". You have such an impact on people perhaps more than you realize. So deal with this thing now and let's get on with it changing people's lives. Your the best and I love you for it. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm not a troll, but I'm gonna put in a good word for them. Many years ago, before folks realized Buffalo Bayou was the incredible lovely asset it is, a couple of friends and I used to canoe downtown to what today is the Theater District. Back then trolls lived under one of the bridges. (And all the Billy Goats Gruff trip, trip, tripped busily and purposefully across the top, but you couldn't see them so high and far away.) We could see the trolls though, and always sort of envied them. Picture the place: You were surrounded by columns like a set of castles. Ground sloped down on two sides to the lazy moving bayou. A steady stream of water ran from an overhead pipe, cooling the concrete and air and making a nice splashing sound on its way to the bayou below. On one of the flat grassy spaces there were a couple of beat up old found sofas and chairs that their dogs and their feet never made any the worse for wear. Someone was usually plunking on a guitar, and something was always cooking. Drifting by in a canoe, it seemed sort of idyllic, at least in the summer when it was warm. So this is just a passing civil--and appreciative--word for the trolls and the congenial relationship they had with their apparently unburdened always present-tense lives. I hope that you, like them, for a few minutes will put your burden down and your feet up, your dog and your love beside you, and just be. I wish you this eternal moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your comments! And for your kindness and support. My life is so rich because of you. So very rich...

    It seems clear to me that, as several of you shared, certain life events (sudden illness, sudden change in fortune, etc.) function as wake-up calls for us. And then, suddenly awake, we inherently have the will and ability to be and do what we'd been saying we wanted to be and do, but hadn't because we just didn't have the muster, or were asleep.

    That is a fascinating thing to me. And I wonder if there's another level of "awakeness" beyond this one? Maybe.....

    Nice troll image, Anonymous. Your trolls are the "originals" who are cool and cute and magical - and clearly have their priorities in order. The ones I ban from this site are the more recent, malicious variety who stalk internet sites just to be ugly and hateful. LOTS of experience with those at my other blog at the Houston Chronicle. None of that is allowed here.

    Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill - I was very touched by your sharing of your diagnosis at Unity on Sunday. I could relate to your description of yourself as an introvert keeping friends and loved ones at an arm's length...It is funny how death, or the prospect of death, has the way of reminding the living how incredible this life-experience is. I haven't experienced much personal loss, but I have had the privilege of sharing the journey with several patients and families in my career as a nurse. There are so many things to say and share with someone facing a diagnosis that may be life-threatening - but I don't know which is best. I do truly hope and will pray that you are healed and continue to live well - I LOVE your visits to Unity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill,
    I have to agree, I think you almost have to die each day before you can truly live. I have been walking on the edge of death for many years after receiving a diagnosis from a doctor who said I may or may not have an auto-immune problem. Rather then go into detail on this, I will say, it can wake you up. For instance, I love the small things in life, like being able to take a walk around the block with my dog, or completing a half decent yoga practice. I love being able to go to lunch with my daughter and watch her excitement grow along with her belly as her due date approaches. I love being able to forgive, because I know how unimportant most arguments are. More important, I have learned not to judge, because I can never know the depth of what a person has gone through, and what makes them what they are. I know, I know, very little. I do not waste time with gossip, however I do have to check myself when other’s do it, that I do not get angry with them. It is much work to die each day, but like everything else, with practice it can become a part of life. When I heard of your diagnosis, my first thought was, well, I hope it is curable. My second thought was, what is the Lord trying to teach? Maybe it is only this, remember to live. Like I said, I don’t know very much but do know I can pray and I am praying for you. You have done so much for me, only by speaking your words of knowledge; it is the least I can do in return.
    I wrote a small poem many years back and it went something like this:

    as the sun breaks,
    the morning’s cold sky-
    a black crow calls;
    Remember to die
    remember to die.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill, please don't spend your time before treatment playing "catchup". Just play. The work will be there waiting for you, but in the interim, you may have learned that it will wait while you have fun.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback if you are civil and not a troll.