Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Life in the Slow Lane

I quit my job in the summer of 2009, in the midst of the global recession. At that point, I'd spent nearly 20 years in academe working as a lecturer/professor and then as an administrator.  The last 5 years of it were particularly frenzied.  The line between work and personal life blurred, I was tethered to my blackberry much of the time, and I spent lots of time on airplanes.  I enjoyed my work to a large extent, but for a variety of reasons I chose to walk away from it.

I wasn't really sure what I would do with myself those first few months.  I had some money saved up, so I didn't have to charge straight into hustling up a living somehow.  I also knew that another "job" was not what I wanted.  So, I didn't do anything really for the first several months.  Nothing productive, at least.  I mean, I did a few local speaking engagements here and there for pocket money, but for the most part I read a lot, worked in the yard and garden, played with the dog, hunted and fished a little, filled the birdfeeders on the patio, and watched the purple martins teach their young to fly from the box stationed in the backyard near the lake.

At about the 2 month mark, my shoulders finally came down from around my ears for more than a few hours at the time.  At the 4 month mark, I realized that I could think straighter than I'd been able to in a long while.  At the 6 month mark, I realized I would never hold a traditional job again if I could in any way help it.

At first, I worried about money.  I'd walked away from an executive pay package and was living off my savings initially.  But, writing and speaking work drifted in bit by bit, and I've been able to make it just fine for the most part by downsizing my life just a little.  I don't make as much money as I did before, but it's enough. And, I have something much more valuable than money, at least to me:  freedom - especially freedom with my time.

I'm not "in the scene" as much as I was before, either.  I don't get invited to the big galas and fundraisers and other such events like I used to.  I don't miss it really.  Only a few people at those things did I really care about seeing anyway.  I still see those people over lunch, coffee, or just hanging out on the backyard swing.

When and where did I buy in to the idea that anything short of working 60 hours a week was some sort of cop-out or weakness?  I guess it comes from my family background.  I come from a blue collar immediate and extended family where everyone works hard into their elderly years - 5 and 6 full days a week, sometimes even 7.  They were - and are - good people.  They provide for themselves and their families.  They provided for me, and I am forever grateful.

I still wonder, though, if Adam's curse in the garden - to sweat and toil for his sustenance - has to be the way for us.  Especially now, when we have so much at our fingertips in terms of technology, communication, etc.  Or maybe those of us living in this part of the world have simply lost ourselves in the feverish consumerism that washes over us every day, so we work all those hours for all the crap we supposedly "need" to be happy.  Or maybe it's just become "the way it is" here.  It's just what we do.  Don't ask questions; get back to work.

I didn't intend to change my whole worldview about life and work when I quit my job a year and half ago, but that's exactly what has happened.

Life in the slow lane is proving ever more irresistible.  

8 comments:

  1. I love my newly discovered life of freedom. There are moments when I wish I had my old income to allow for travel or remodeling the kitchen but then I remember that I finally love what I do. Every morning I get up and know I will change at least one person's life while doing what I love and what I'm good at - that powerful reminder helps keep those 'wants' in check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am hoping for a similar change in my worklife soon, as well...being driven to the border of insanity on a daily basis will make one wish for better things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been spending a great deal of time lately (as much time as a person working a whole lot can give) thinking about what freedom looks like for me and how to make it work. All I know is that I'm sick of the rat race. And I'm only 28.

    Very proud of you, Jill. And even happier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. I left the corporate world in 2003, sold my 4 bedroom house, and moved into a garage apartment where I have never been happier. I get to spend my time reading books and watching video lectures about string theory and dark energy (some of which I'm beginning to understand on a layman's level), reading texts of many faiths and philosophies, and going to classes and presentations by diplomats, journalists and scholars in many disciplines. Or sometimes doing nothing. It's nice to be able to choose. And there are some easily accessible dumpsters behind several fine restaurants in my neighborhood if it comes to that, but I plan to become productive again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it doesn't have to be an either/or choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think of it as an either/or choice really. Certainly not in academe. But, it feels more like one in the larger corporate world. My last 5 years were less like academe and more like hard-charging corporate life. The contrast feels more stark, at least in my experience. But, it's just that.....my experience. And it's not like I don't work now. I do - sometimes 10-12 hour days. But, it's on my own terms in every way. I experience that as a qualitative difference in many ways from the corporate experience, but not no starkly different from the straight professor/scholar role where you have obligations certainly (dept, students, committees, etc.) but you also have time for research, writing, etc. - and the schedule isn't as rigid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly where I want to be in a couple of years. I often struggle with the concept of giving up medicine for something more fulfilling and less hectic. The medical field is not what it used to be and that is a shame. I feel like I work at a factory sometimes and the most important thing is whether or not we can bill for something. As a single parent with 3 young children and a lot of debt from my divorce, I'm not sure how I am going to manage to swing it right now. However, I'm sure in time and with God's strength and guidance, I will realize my dream to work for myself doing what I love and fulfilling my purpose here. Thank you so much, Jill for your inspirational story! Blessings and light to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took the leap myself this past May. Yes what was I thinking in this economy to start my own businesses? Steel trading and nutritional cleansing and replenishing distribution/wellness coaching. Yet so often I have had unexpected income fall into my hands that I take as a validation from God that I made the right choice and to keep driving forward. I have more time for volunteer work that I've wanted for so many of those years to pick up again. I am blessed every day of my life and feel so at peace and exist with pure joy. I wish you all the same with your journey and thank you deeply for being you and an inspiration to me in many ways. We ARE the "architects of our dreams" as a dear friend said to me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback if you are civil and not a troll.