Sunday, April 3, 2011

Life, Death and Love

The tomb of Rumi - the poet of love - in Konya, Turkey
(photo: Jill Carroll)

I went to a lawyer this last week and got help writing my Last Will.  I'm having open chest surgery on April 15 and have been in the mode of "getting things handled" before the surgery and hospital stay - paying bills, doing the spring lawn work, getting the vegetable garden in, filing my taxes, and so on.

Getting a legal will on file seemed a prudent thing to "get handled" before I go under the knife in this particular way.  I've had major surgeries before, but none of them unveiled my beating heart and pumping lungs through a splayed chest, as this one will.  This one feels different.

Mind you, I fully expect to live through the surgery.  I'm optimistic and hopeful about things, and I've made post-surgery plans because I expect to here to fulfill them.

I've thought about death a lot, though, lately.  My own death.  What if I die on the operating table?  Or after the surgery due to complications?  What if the cancer returns, can't be treated and kills me?

I've tried to let myself really "be" with these thoughts.  Not in a worried, anxious way but in a sober mindfulness that death is inevitable for all of us in this life.  Given the reality of death - of my own personal death - and given that it could occur sooner than I expect, well . . . what about that?

I don't have a bucket list, and I haven't felt prompted to make one so far.  I've done a lot of things in my 47 years.  I've travelled to many countries, seen many things, had many amazing experiences, and met extraordinary people.  I've done different kinds of professional work, and feel good about the work I've done.   I've been blessed to have my needs, and most of my wants, met.

So, were I to die soon, I wouldn't feel like some kind of activity was left undone or unfulfilled.  Mainly, I would simply miss the world.  I love this world and this life, even with all its hazards and tragedies.  I am grateful for our world, for my life, and that I get to live it here.

As I sit with thoughts of death, what emerges for me as most important has to do with love.  Not love in the abstract, or love of or from some far off deity in the clouds - but love here in this life, with real  people, in everyday situations.  Have I loved?  Have I been loved?  Have I learned anything in the process?

More and more, I think that these are really the only questions that matter.  I am fulfilled in my life to the extent that I love and am loved by people, and learn from that love.  I have learned that, in and through that love, obstacles can be overcome and fears faced down.  Richness, growth and abundance beyond measure are found within it, in the being and doing of it.  And, thankfully, it overcomes limitations and mistakes.  I have plenty of both of those.

I am so grateful to have the capacity for love - for giving and receiving it, and for learning from its treasures.

Because of love, I can be ready to die - even though I expect to live, at least for now.

18 comments:

  1. Life and love are both eternal. Glad your found yourself full of both. Much love and strength to you in your journey. Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've brought love to the world, both directly and by bringing together communities that wouldn't have known one another save through your work. I hope you live and love for a long time, but when you die, you'll leave a world that is better for your having been here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, thanks for your openness in sharing what is going on with you. It certainly brings hope to my heart.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, a friend found your post inspiring and suggested it. I'm so sorry to hear of your illness. Glad to know you are surrounded by loving friends. Much love and strength to you during all that lies ahead. (We worked together years ago ... and also, you bought my Honda Civic).
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi jill - a friend of mine shared your post via FB and i am so glad that she did. i'll be sending you love and prayers for your surgery, first and foremost. secondly, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts -- i agree with you wholeheartedly. peace of every dimension is rooted in love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having heard you speak many times before - I told you once that "you are the 'Bennie Hanna' of speakers." You skillfully sliced/diced our comfort zones, then ended your talk by flipping your closing remark into the pocket of our minds. In this blog, I put on the mantle of your words, feeling your thoughtful observances of the facts of the circumstances in your life. As your words took me deeper, it seemed that the spirit within you was seeing life from a higher understanding that recognized your core truth was rooted in the power of love. All this seemed to stem from allowing your self to "Be" in the moment. Thank you for opening your heart and mind in your sharing of this life experience. "Peace, Peace, be still."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, you are an inspiration and a gift in my life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as you move through this period of change, reflection and growth.
    With love and prayers for you
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - you're in my heart an prayers. And your red hat is almost finished. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jill,
    I don't know you, but someone just passed this on to me. Thank you for your beautiful, true thought about love, and the only questions that matter. My mum, when she was dying two summers ago, had a strong conviction of just that same truth, and it is uplifting to hear you echo it.
    I hope, expect and pray that you have a lot of life still before you in this beautiful world, and that having this reflection and this insight now will make it all the richer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments, everyone. It means so much to me that you read this post and took the time to comment. Part of the richness in my life has to do with the interactions and feedback I get from people like you who read my more personal/reflective writing. I really, really appreciate it......so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna! I remember you and I remember buying your Honda Civic. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have said it all...I will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jill, that was beautifully written. Thank you for sharing that. I wish you the best of all possible outcomes with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been thinking about you and praying for wellness. I hope the surgery is a resounding success!! May you feel all of the support and love from your community. We are behind you!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post is beautiful and so moving. It is the sort of treasure one wants immediately to share. Reading it is such a deeply penetrating experience, It gave me chills as well as a lump in my throat. I took your course on what it means to be truly human. Your essay so epitomizes all that you taught us...and look how you live it...
    I wish you strength and courage, and love all around. Linda Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dr. Carroll,
    Regardless of how the surgery turns out, you have made the world a brighter and richer place. We are all better people for your insights and commentary.

    Much love,
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Jill,

    As with most people here, I've always liked your openness and been swept up in your passion for the subjects you study and speak about. I've enjoyed seemingly incongruous things, like the study of tolerance from someone whose reported favorite dinner is a bird she just shot. I've liked to compress those ideas into ridiculous scenes, like the notion of you cleaning your firearms as you look up wistfully and contemplate the opening for yet another talk about Islam, or perhaps how handy those rifles really could be in some of the more tension-filled debates you may have had. But I don't want to waste your time, and that is the name of the game isn't it? Our time. Your time. How dare a stranger take some of it now? You're always in control. You can stop reading anytime. I write this in the hopes it makes you feel better.

    I think you are right: that you have had many wonderful experiences here on earth. And I think you are also right: that you will have many more. Not having, and not needing, a bucket list are signs that you are on - and have been on for awhile - your One True Authentic Path. You've been doing the Hard Work this whole time and being an example for us along the way. Even this ultimate test, when you're asked to take off the veil and look at the reality of a finite life, you do it. And the most beautiful thing? You're ok with what you see. You know with outstanding clarity, "diamond mind" as they refer to it in yoga, what's important and what is real, that you are loved and that you have loved. How many of us know that in the deep silent stillness of our huge hearts? At any age? And you are young Jill. Really young. Although today, three days after surgery, you may be feeling considerably older:-)

    I've listened to you speak 5 times. That's it. That is how I "know" you. I've read your blog a bit, Nishta's blog a bit, read some articles. On all levels it seems to me, I have no right to comment here. So why do it? Because I want to tell you, as all these other people have, that you have mattered and the earth is better because you have graced it. Your plop! in the proverbial pond has created ripples that reach far - to people you don't know. You are loved, you touch people, I am better because you didn't settle for a life that you didn't love. That's why I take up your time now: I hope it makes you heal faster, feel better, because you have made a stranger's life better by virtue of you living yours. I cannot heal you, so this is the biggest thing I can give you. To tell you that beyond what you know, you matter even more than that.

    It is my fervent prayer that you will be here for as long as you wish to be. I hope you rest well and recover by getting as much sunshine as you can stand. I hope you arrive safely to the other side of this crossing and that you will be happy there.

    Blessings all the days of your life,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto to all of the above -- I can't improve on any of it. Multiply it by 100's for those who read and don't comment. KNOW we're here -- on our knees, fingering a talisman, repeating a mantra, burning incense, or merely crossing our fingers and holding our collective breath.

    Now that you're a week post-op, is there any chance of a bed-check (update)? Please tell us you're renewing with the season.......

    Best from SOC in S'port!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback if you are civil and not a troll.